Massive RAM leak in TOPto CHOP

Hi there! I’m relatively new to TD, but I’m already using it like a year now. I love it, but recently I’ve realised, that whenever there is a TOPto Chop in my network there’s like 3MB of something piling up in my RAM every second (!!!). So far I didn’t realize that since I was just using simple things in the current project, but when I just doubled the number of TOPto Chops the rate of RAM filling became unbearable even with 16GB in my Thinkpad X230t.

Funny thing is that even changing all different parameters in the TOPto Chop doesn’ affect the memory grabbing in any significant way.

Is there a more stable version? I don’t recall such problems with 088… I’m now using TouchDesigner 099.x64.2017.13460.

I would also like to state that the issue is very urgent, I’m working on 13 LED stripes driven by ESP8266 arduinos conrtoled by DMX via Wifi for a Music-Theatre crossover composition/performance which lasts 1 hour. And the premiere is next Tuesday… :confused: :slight_smile: :frowning:

I’ve attached the Dump after the RAM was totally overflown.

Can you help me somehow or direct me in the right direction, please?
TouchDesignerCrash099.x64.2017.13460.1.dmp (275 KB)

Are you able to post a .toe that causes the issue to occur? I’m not able to reproduce in the basic case so it may be specific to certain settings you have set.

Wow, such quick response, too bad I’ve already went to sleep… :smiley:

Here’s the file. It’s a bit noobish, but I don’t see any reason for TD to behave like that…

Many thanks!
PS-All-of-it_1x75.toe (27 KB)

Hey prokosim,

Can you say a little more about the hardware you’re working with? Is that an integrated GPU on the thinkpad?

Machine stats for me:

099 Experimental
win10
gtx 1060
i7

Performance stats:

Windows reports that touch is using about 600 MB of RAM.
Touch reports about 850 MB of RAM use and 600 MB of VRAM.

Hey Raganmd,

I’m using Touchdesigner 099.x64.2017.13460 on an
Intel i5-3320M @ 2.6 GHz running
Win 10 Pro (Creators Update) with just
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 @ 650 MHz max1.2 GHz

The RAM is still growing like crazy even in 088 version and it all seems to be triggered by the TOPto CHOP… Even a new empty network with just the TOPto did the same problem.

I’m also using Touch OSC Bridge with an iPad Air 2 and a KORG nanoKontrol 2, but that shaouldn’t be the cause…

Sorry for the czech language there, but it can go this brutal with the RAM…

Funny, thing:

Touchdesigner 088 32 bit Build 62960 totally works with no problems so far! :smiley:

Hey Prokosim, I opened your file in TD 2017.13460 and could not reproduce your issue on a Win10/ GTX970 machine. The TD process with your network is using 575 MB of ram, and seems to stay stable for the last 5 minutes.

On a sidenote: I recommend you set your 13 ToptoCHOPs in /project1/SEND to Next Frame (fast) instead of Immediate(Slow) which will mean they will run at 0.1msec each instead of 1 msec each as they do now.

Hey Nettoyeur,

thank you very much. May this mean that the problem is in my Windows 10? I did a fresh install a month ago. Strange. Anyway the whole thing worked just fine in the 088 32 bit version, so the performance was saved by that.

Regarding the ToptoCHOPs download method I was originally working with the next frame (fast) setting. However since i was using MIDI controler buttons (momentary and latch) to turn on and off each “texture” (either alpha or changing colors) the next frame was sometines forgetting that I¨ve already let go of the button… The performance was somewhat ok so I didn’t feel the need to optimize it. (The Wifi router running 13+2 clients was bigger performance bottleneck. I had to buy a decent one instead of normal consumer router I already had.)