RESOLVish: Mac: perform mode + always on top issue

How to reproduce:

• On mac OS use two monitors
  • Configure perform window to be “always on top” + fill location + no borders on monitor 0
  • Open any floating window (e.g. parameters window, custom ui, view of any node) on monitor 1
  • Activate perform mode
  • Give focus to the perform window (e.g. by clicking)
  • Close the floating window on monitor 1
  • Issue: the status bar in the top right corner appears

Expected:

• the status bar should not appear

Video: youtu.be/ilCFgY9FoV4

TD version: 099, 64bit, 2017.10000
Mac OS: Sierra 10.12.5
fullscreen-issue-closing-window.toe (3.79 KB)

Thanks, I could reproduce this case (except I had to change your example file, you had /perform opening on Monitor1) so we’ll see if it can be fixed.

One note of caution, when you have a floating window open like the parameters/viewer when in Perform Mode you will be loosing performance, you should only ever have the Perform window open when in Perform Mode.

Great that you could reproduce.

I’m aware of the performance penalty for additional windows. When exploring parameter settings I like opening relevant floating parameter windows as they often live on different container levels. Of course that’s not something for performance :slight_smile:

A common use case where this bug can bit you is:

• you start your project in perform mode
  • you open a config ui via a button or key press on the perform window
  • do the config, close the config ui window
  • now the statusbar appears in the perform window

@ben: Any update on this issue?

Sorry, no solution yet.

So we were only able to reproduce it with one machine originally, and after trying a few things, it appears that the status bar in the top right corner only appears if System->General->Use dark menu bar and Dock is toggled on. Can you try toggling that off (and you may have to log out and log back in) and see if that fixes the issue for you?

Hi Selina,

thanks for the update.

I disabled the dark theme as suggested and did a reboot.
The issue still persists, but the menu bar that is displayed looks different.
Only the font is shown, icons disappear. And also the font does not look properly set.

Here is a video:
youtu.be/zUdPJD3JGiU

TD 99, Build: 2017.14220

Thanks for your patience! I’m inclined to think this is something to do with Apple, and I am not sure what we can do about it yet. Internally, we are not changing anything with the menu or status bar. However, I have found that I cannot reproduce the issue if I turn on System Preferences->General->Automatically hide and show menu bar. Is this an option for you?

I can confirm that enabling the “Automatically hide and show menu bar” option is a successful workaround. Thank you for investigating.
This is a good enough workaround for now.

1 Like