RESOLVED: GLSL Errors on Mac but not Windows

So Ive been trying to learn how to use the GLSL tops and Ive realized that they behave differently between windows and mac.

I was trying to use these tox files here: github.com/raganmd/learningGLSL … d_lighting

They seem to work fine with no tweaking on windows using 099 however not on MacOS

Any thoughts on why this might be? Keep in mind in new to using the GLSL top and there might be something im missing.

Im runnnig on:
Mac Pro 3.1
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
GTX 770 4gm vram
20gb of ram
10.11.6 (15G1217)

Ive attached an image for reference of the errors from the info dat

P.S. Thanks to this reddit post for the link - reddit.com/r/creativecoding … h=a8a44b98

First things are the macOS doesn’t support GLSL 1.20 or GLSL 4+, so you need to use GLSL 3.3

Then the macOS GLSL compiler also seems more strict in many cases such that something created on Nvidia-Windows will compile but it won’t compile on macOS. Its actually good practice to to try to code for this strict-ness as then you can be sure it will work on Nvidia, AMD, Intel, macOS, but not everyone has multiple machines to test/dev on.

Ben

Thanks Ben for such a quick reply and for the information. Makes sense why Ive been having trouble.

Also Ben is there anywhere I can find anymore info on the strictness of macos opengl?

If you just follow the main GLSL documentation for GLSL 3.30, those are the ‘strict’ ones. For example texelFetchBuffer no longer exists in GLSL 3.30, it’s now called texelFetch only

So today I was messing around with this again and I was able to find some more info on the compatibility of openGL on my machine. please check Screenshot below: