099:5540 Art-Net Multicast on OSX

Hi,

I only tried this on a MBP, so I’m not sure if the issue is platform specific.

I can send Art-Net Packets directly to another host, but when I enter a broadcast address ie: 2.255.255.255, i can’t get artnet data to my other nodes. Sending them directly to the hosts, seems to work well. Is this behavior by design?

Thanks!

Does it work with 255.255.255.255 but not with 2.255.255.255? If so it might be a networking gear problem, like a switch or something that doesn’t understand broadcasts for only specific networks vs full broadcast. Unlikely of course, but that’s the first thing I would try.

Nope, it doesn’t work with a totally open address either.

FYI: The receiving hosts are an MA2 and a D3 4x4 Pro.

I can verify that it does work correctly on the PC version. Unicast and network level / adapter level broadcast (2.255.255.255 and 255.255.255.255). Though this is just two PCs talking to eachother over a gigabit switch, one running Windows 10 Pro with TD 099.5940 and one running Windows 7 Pro with grandMA2 onPC v3.2.2.6

I can try the same thing on Wednesday with an actual MA2 Light and someone else’s MBP, though I don’t have regular access to a d3.

Just to ask some other dumb questions, are you plugged into the second network port on the MA? I assume you are since as you say, unicast works but broadcast doesn’t. Also, are there two active networks on the machine TD is running on? Like WiFi and Ethernet? 2...* is technically publicly routable IP space (thanks, Artistic License :-/) so maybe the Mac is trying to broadcast over WiFi or something? Also unlikely, but not unheard of.

Sorry if these are insulting questions to ask, I just have a tendency to not ask myself these dumb questions when I’m stuck and then wish somebody had.

ArtNet NIC on the MA is correctly patched (it’s driving d3 via sockpuppet). I tried disabling all other NICs on the Mac.

I was using TD to test ArtNet trigger input to the MA for later integration with another system. At this point it’s no longer an issue, but I wanted to report it in case it was a bug.

Thanks for following up. :slight_smile:

We just posted a new experimental build 2018.20310 that addresses a number of ArtNet/sACN multicast bugs and some macOS bugs specifically.

Can you give it a try and let us know if the issue is resolved?

Download page