[088 62380 W10] TOP Viewer Window Crashes, Access Violation

Specs:
TouchDesigner 088 Pro (Build 62380)
Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (Build 14393.953)
Nvidia Quadro ODE Driver Version 376.84
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2637 v2 @ 3.5Ghz
16GB CPU RAM (ECC)
Nvidia Quadro M5000
8GB GPU RAM (ECC)

Details:

• I commonly right click on a TOP and click “View…” (rather than open up a window from Window comp) because I am typically working with renders larger than UHD 4K (e.g. 3840 x 4320, 15360 x 1080) and helps in my development workflow to be able to zoom in and out, inspect pixels, etc.

• I’ve found that if I leave TD running in Design mode with a TOP Viewer Window like this open, a crash occurs. The time of the crash varies between 5 to 60 minutes after opening the TOP viewer. It might happen while i’m working, or more often I leave my desk and come back to see TD crashed.

• A regular window opened from Window COMP never causes the crash, but the TOP Viewer window always will (sooner or later.)

• The most recent crash occurred even while TD was paused.

• There is no crash dump or autosave just a regular “old fashioned” crash. :stuck_out_tongue:
    So while I do my best to save often, It sometimes results in significant data loss since my last save.

• I will try to reproduce in an example TOE i can upload when i have some time but wanted to get this report up first to get the ball rolling and see if i’m not the only one.

• Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help track this down. Thanks.

UPDATE

• I opened up a window using a Window COMP with “Allow Interaction” parameter enabled so I could zoom in/out, inspect pix, etc like i would with a TOP Viewer window and when I got back from lunch TD had experienced this same crash again. It had left it the way i typically do: in design mode, one monitor with network editor, one with the output window.

Error Dialog:
TOP Viewer access violation crash dialog.png

Additional Info:
Windows Event viewer provides the below information about the crash, when I look up Exception code: 0xc0000005 I find that this is an Access Violation / Null Pointer Exception:

Faulting application name: touchdesigner088.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x58bdab87 Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00007ffdc0000120 Faulting process id: 0x1df8 Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a99f5a9726bd Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Derivative\TouchDesigner088\bin\touchdesigner088.exe Faulting module path: unknown Report Id: 81bc9fe9-1486-415d-9d9a-2f30a97948c6

Update:

As a troubleshooting step I gleaned from researching this type of crash --I have temporarily disabled DEP / Data Execution Prevention in Windows 10.

WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS

DEP should never be disabled and leaves one open to various security exploits.

From what I can tell so far in the past few days, this ignores whatever is causing TouchDesigner to crash and hope it helps Derivative find the root of the issue.

I believe bad RAM can be ruled out as this is Error Correcting Code (ECC) RAM and I have created a filter to show all events with source Kernel-WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) in the Windows Event Viewer --this is where any ECC memory errors would appear when detected with PFA (Predictive Failure Analysis.)
I only see info events that the WHEA service has been up and running properly for the past two weeks since I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Professional.

Please let me know what next steps I might take to assist in resolving this. Thanks.

Update:

Still experiencing the same crash with software DEP disabled

Screenshot
TD088_Access_Violation_Crash.jpg

Are you able to share a .toe file that has this issue, or does it work on just the default file? Any particular type of node you are viewing?