RESOLVED: general build observation

Hi Derivative… I think this is a silly question, but a little clarity would be great.

I’ve noticed that the default settings on a moviefile in op includes the use global cpu cache flag toggled to on.

Wiki articles for both 088 and 099 seem to indicate that this is not a recommended configuration:

derivative.ca/wiki099/index. … ile_In_TOP
derivative.ca/wiki088/index. … ile_In_TOP

I think my general question here would be if one should generally toggle this parameter to the off position, or if this has changed and is just not reflected in the wiki?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Hey Matthew,

I obviously can’t speak for Derivative but since there hasn’t been a reply. I can say I’ve wondered the same myself. I noticed that in the TouchDesigner Preferences, under the TOPs tab, the Movie In CPU Cache Size (MB) defaults to 0. So I figured that more or less nullifies the Use Global CPU Cache parameter on any particular TOP being enabled.

Landon is correct. Since the default preference is 0 this toggle does nothing. We leave it on by default since if you did find a case where the global CPU cache needed, you can just turn up the preference and not need to change the nodes.

Wonderful! Thanks for the responses.