Freeze when opening window (2018.24410, WIN 10 Pro)

System specs:
MSI GS65 Stealth Thin Laptop
Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
Nvidia GTX1060 Max-Q
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Hi all,

I’ve been having this problem with my new laptop- an MSI GS65 Stealth Thin. Whenever I open a window COMP directed at any monitor other than main monitor the window will appear completely white and TouchDesigner will completely freeze up and I have to terminate the process in task manager. The software does not completely crash, just freezes up so unfortunately I can’t provide any crash logs.

Oddly enough, if I open the window on my main monitor I can move it over to another output without the freeze, only opening it directly to another monitor seems to cause it. I am on 2018.24410 but this problem has persisted for a couple months of versions now. My graphics drivers are up to date as well.

I’m guessing this has something to do with integrated vs. dedicated GPU but none of my normal tricks for that are working. This is my first experience with the Max-Q GPU’s so maybe this is a glitch with that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

We have seen this on 2 other MSI laptops as well. When it is ‘hanging’, can you go to the Task Manager, right-click on TouchDesigner application and select “Create Dumpfile”. This will great a massive dump file which you will have to .zip, but it compresses very nicely. Please send this to use at support@derivative.ca

Will do- thank you!

My new Asus ROG ZEPHYRUS-GX501 (asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-ZEP … fications/)
is doing the exact same thing. I will send the dump file.

That Asus has a Max-Q GPU as well right? The plot thickens…

Any of you that have the crashes occur able to create and share your dmp file with us?

I sent it to the support email but here is a download link just in case: [url]Dropbox - File Deleted

Do you have Sonic Studio installed on your machine? There is some Asus bloatware that causes issues like this.

There is some bloatware on my MSI for a variety of things. Maybe I’ll try nuking all that and see what happens.

Hi Leclaire, any news on the removal of MSI bloatware?

I’m going to do a fresh install of windows on the problematic machine I just haven’t had the time in my schedule to do so. I will report back on this thread once I do that and some testing. Thanks!

I did a fresh install of Windows and made sure none of the bloatware got re-installed, the problem persists. Absolutely cannot open a window to another monitor without a complete freeze.

Facing the same problem on my MSI laptop:

TD 088 (build 62650) commercial.

Config as follows:
MSI Model: GE63 8RF
2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-8750H
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 10 Home Single Language (x64) Version 1803 (build 17134.285)

Project (minimal nodes: top constant1@1920x1080–>null1–>window1 comp) works fine when I clone the displays and click open in the window comp, but the moment I extend the monitor and try to open on monitor 1, TD becomes unresponsive and crashes.

Have 2 laptops with same config, both have the same problem.

The same project also works fine on my desktop with 1070ti card and another ASUS laptop with 1050.

PS: SOLVED: Not a bug after all! service called Nahmic was causing the problem, uninstalled, disabled Nahmic service, now works fine!

Any chance you can uninstall some of the MSI pre-installed bloatware? We’ve seen this be the issue on a number of these laptops.

I’m using an Asus motherboard, I fixed this ‘open separate window’ issue after I delete most of bloatware from Asus. the last one I delete was Radar 3 which I guess is a sound managing application. And then it works fine. For your information.