FIXED: [Win10 099 21670] "Object undefined outside of cook"

Seeing “Parameter Value td.Error Object undefined outside of cook” very often intermittently on various operators when python expressions are set. e.g. Point SOP, Vertex SOP, Primitive SOP and Expression CHOP, possibly others.

The error doesn’t seem to affect the output from working, and when I bypass then unbypass the error disappears but eventually shows up again, exact trigger unknown. Force cooking does not seem to consistently make the error go away.

UPDATE:
This may reproduce the error:

1. add a new Torus SOP
    2.connect a Vertex SOP to the output.
  2. set a custom attribute value to: me.inputVertex.point.index 4. change the attrib value type to int.
  3. click/select a different operator to shift the focus of current op.
  4. click on the Vertex SOP change the attrib value type from int to float. again, click/select a different operator.
  5. wait a few seconds, the error will (hopefully) appear on the Vertex SOP

I can confirm I’ve seen this a couple of times too. Again not an error as such but rather just a warning that doesn’t seem to cause much of an issue.

It’s a known issue where the parameter dialog is trying to show the current value of parameter with an expression such as: me.inputVertex

Problem is that inputVertex is only defined while the operator is cooking,
so the dialog is trying to evaluate an invalid expression for the UI.

It can be avoided by selecting another operator / parameter dialog, until we find a good solution.

Cheers,
Rob.

Hi, Rob --Thanks for your response on this issue.

In the meantime, can the severity level be lowered from a full blown (X) Error to just a (!) Warning?

It seems appropriate for something that only affects a minor UI element as you have explained.

It’s definitely one possibility we’re looking into.

I’ve fixed the bug where the UI incorrectly shows an error when it is on the same node. You’ll still get an error if you use that expression in a different node though, say

op('vertex1').inputVertex.point.index

as a constant CHOP expression.

Thanks for the report.

Win10 2021.11180, I can see this too.
I’m sorry if I unearth something that is not related.

Basically, I use this as a Max’s route. And it works and is useful but gives me that error.

Is it the bug again? Or just me ?